Our firm was founded in the 1940s and represents a regional firm. It has grown from a one-man practice to a firm of seventeen employees and professionals.
In 1957 Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co., now KPMG LLP, became the first national accounting firm in San Antonio, Texas. Shortly thereafter in 1958, Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co. merged with Eaton & Huddle. Ernst & Ernst would become the second national firm to begin practicing in San Antonio and would eventually form multiple partnerships to become Ernst and Young, LLP. The firm acquired George, Thrift and Cockerill who also had an office in Uvalde and who had been managed by Robert Thrift, the only CPA living in Uvalde, since 1950. Ernst & Ernst rejected the purchase of the Uvalde office as it was too small.
When Ernst & Ernst rejected the Uvalde office William R. Meredith from Cuero acquired the Uvalde practice. Meredith was the first CPA to practice solely in Uvalde. In 1963 Robert O. Coleman acquired a 50% interest in William R. Meredith's practice. In 1967 Henry Dalrymple, a practicing CPA out of Fort Worth with Leverwood and Ward began practicing in Uvalde. Henry was a native Uvaldean and practiced a short time as a sole practitioner before eventually joining Meredith and Coleman forming Meredith, Coleman and Dalrymple in 1967.
In the 1970s several partners were added in order to respond to growing client needs and manage area offices. Partners Bill Schuler, Woodrow Elley and Hal Holtman managed the offices in Del Rio, San Antonio and New Braunfels, respectively. Non partners Stuart Willis and Mike Douville managed the offices in Eagle Pass and Kerrville, respectively. Additionally, satellite offices without managers were based in Rocksprings and Sanderson. This group of offices would become Meredith, Coleman, Dalrymple and Schuler in 1975 and would eventually become known as Meredith, Coleman, Dalrymple, Schuler and Elley in 1978. In the 1990s all of the offices were distributed to the partners within each of the area offices and the Uvalde and Eagle Pass offices would become the surviving offices of the partnership. The current office on Nopal Street in Uvalde would become the home of Coleman, Horton and Company, LLP in 1979.